The Prairie Fruit Cookbook will be making its debut at Gardening Saturday this weekend. Quantities will be limited. Our printer, Gateway Publishing, is pulling out all the stops to have 150 copies available for this Saturday. The rest will be available at the official launch at McNally Robinson on Monday, April 30, 2012.
The book will be
$19.95+ GST = $20.95 or FREE with a $50 donation to Fruit Share
Fruit Share will keep $5 of every book sold at Gardening Saturday.
Here’s one of the great recipes you’ll find in the book.
Rhubarb Honey Bran Muffins
Delicious, moist muffins. You won't believe these are bran muffins! Try them with any prairie fruit.
- 1½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾ cup Wheat Bran
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Applesauce
- 1½ cup Rhubarb, diced (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375°F(190°C).
- Lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix egg, oil, honey, milk, vanilla and applesauce.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Add rhubarb.
- Spoon into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until tops are firm to the touch.
Recipe by Getty Stewart published in Prairie Fruit, 2012