What a busy season ahead for Fruit Share Brandon! While the chapter is relatively new to the area, there has been terrific progress in spreading the word via local and social media. I had the opportunity to connect with Tanis Brown-Birch from Fruit Share Brandon this week about happenings this summer.
- Announcement in the Brandon Sun (May 15th)
- Radio interview on Bill Turner’s Feedback CKLQ 880 (May 27th)
- Interview with the Westman Journal (June 7th)
Social Media Info:
By the Numbers…
- Volunteers: 27 have signed up in the city of Brandon to date
- First harvest planned for: Thursday, June 6th, 2013
Events & Fruit Share Booths:
–Brandon Global Market
- Booth will be set up every second weekend to recruit volunteers, spread the word, provide information/flyers, and sample tasty treats. Contest to win rhubarb pies is coming soon!
–Brandon Multicultural Festival
- July 5th and 6th in Princess Park
–Brandon Folk Fest
- July 25th and 26th under the trees at Westman Communications Group Place (The Keystone Center)
What’s Happening Now?
With the first couple of rhubarb harvests very close, Fruit Share Brandon is getting the last pieces in place for a pie-making workshop Wednesday, June 12! They are planning on “Saying Hi with a Pie” to all of the charitable organizations that have partnered with Fruit Share Brandon. There have been generous donations of all of the needed ingredients from Sobeys South End, save for the fresh rhubarb that will be picked. The Student’s Union at Brandon University have graciously offered the use of their kitchen facilities for the making of the pies.
A few of the organizations in Brandon that have signed on as partners are: YWCA, Meredith’s Place, Salvation Army, Helping Hands, and The Samaritan House, among others.
Cooperating local businesses include: Aagaard Farms, Patmore’s Nursery, The Green Spot, Assiniboine Community College North Campus (a boatload of rhubarb from the Culinary Program!), Community Futures Westman (donating the use of an office for the summer!).
If you are in the Brandon area and would like to get involved with Fruit Share Brandon, feel free to contact Tanis at:
Phone: 204-726-1513 ext 222
Don’t forget to connect to the Fruit Share Brandon blog, Facebook page and Twitter feed as mentioned above!