This is a modified version of a bannock recipe from Pat Palson. Feel free to use raisins or other berries instead of Saskatoon berries.
- 4-5 cups of part spelt, whole wheat, and white flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ¾ cup of coconut or olive oil
- 2 cups of milk or water
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of Saskatoon berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix flour and coconut or olive oil together with your hands.
- Add rest of dry ingredients to mixture (and Saskatoon berries if using).
- Make a hole in the centre and add milk.
- Mix it all together with a spoon until you cannot stir anymore then mix with hands.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Put some flour on your surface. Add dough.
- Work the dough so you can roll it. Don’t overwork dough.
- Flatten into pan, puncture with fork.
- Put it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.