Apple chutney recipe
Author: Mary Jane's Cooking School
Recipe type: Apple
Type of Recipe: Preserves
Serves: 3½ pints
- 2 ¼ lbs tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups coarsely chopped raisins
- 3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil gently, uncovered for about 35 minutes until thick. Stir more often towards the end of cooking time to prevent scorching.
- Fill hot sterilized jars to within ½ inch from top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 3 ½ pints.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Jane’s Cooking School.