- 8 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- Combine rhubarb, sugar and orange juice in a large heavy pot and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let it gently bubble, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- If it is sticking to the bottom of the pot, reduce heat.
- Continue cooking like this for at least one hour, until the butter has reduced in volume and has turned a deep rosy colour.
- Start prepping your jars and lids at the 30 minute mark.
- Fill jars leaving ¼ inch head space, wipe rim and centre lid.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Here is my first recipe of the season from my newly-decimated rhubarb plant (cut down to less than 1/5 the size, with the ‘seedlings’ given away to friends and family). It’s just like my Rhubarb Orange Jam, but much, much more intense in flavour. This recipe is a must for those who love the tangy flavours of rhubarb and oranges!
Next recipe to test-drive: Vanilla Rhubarb Jam with Earl Grey Tea. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!