Pear Jam (Using hard nearly ripe Manitoba grown pears)
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup water
- 4 cup finely chopped pears
- 1 package Certo or pectin of your choice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 5 cups sugar
- Pour 1 cup of apple juice and ¼ cup of water into large cooking pot. This liquid will help to keep the chopped pears from going brown as you peel and chop them!
- Peel and pit and chop finely 4 cups of pears adding to the pot as they are done.
- Add 1 package of Certo or pectin of your choice.
- I add about 1 teaspoon of butter which helps reduce foaming.
- Heat the fruit and let simmer for 3 or 4 minutes to cook and soften the pears. Turn up high to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Add 5 cups of sugar and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Take off stove and stir for about 5 minutes or all the fruit will rise to the top.
- Pour into prepared jars.
- Place in water bath for 10 minutes.
- This will make about six 250 ml jars of jam.