These are a tasty way to use up some apples. Try it out with crab apples or eating apples – any kind works well! This is a great option for anyone with allergies or intolerances and can’t eat normal granola bars (psssst… if you have nut allergies, just substitute the nuts with seeds!).
They’re also a much healthier snack for kids to enjoy in their lunchbox, now that it’s back to school.
– 2 apples, cored and chopped
– 1/2 cup each sunflower seeds, walnuts and raisins (or any other combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit)
1) Place apples in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Leave the peel on for extra nutrients!
2) Add all other ingredients and continue to pulse until well-mixed and fairly smooth.
3) Form mixture into about 12 bars and arrange on the tray of a dehydrator.
4) Dehydrate for about 15 hours, flipping partway through.
Variation: you can also make these in the oven; just keep your eye on them so they don’t burn! Temperatures will vary based on the oven, but aim for a lower temperature.
What are your favourite ingredients to add to energy bars?