I first saw this recipe in the ‘Food in Jars’ book by Marisa McClellan and HAD to try it! She says it tastes like an exotic creamsicle, and it does – soooo good!
While my kids like it on their toast, I prefer it over ice cream.
- 3 cups chopped, peeled Cantaloupe (about ½ a large melon)
- 1.5 cups Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon bottled Lemon Juice
- 1 package Pectin (I used powdered)
- Combine cantaloupe, sugar and vanilla bean pod & seeds in a stainless steel pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and packet of pectin.
- Return to a vigorous boil and boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove vanilla bean pod and discard.
- Zip for a few seconds to break down the cantaloupe, do not liquefy.
- Ladle into prepared jars, leaving ¼" head space.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.