Our master pie-maker Katie Anderson is sharing some of her secrets with us! Here is the recipe for the wonderful, flaky pastry underlying the pies we made for our fundraiser. This recipe makes 1 lbs of dough.
Katie’s Scrumptious Pie Pastry
- 0.5 lbs flour, soft pastry
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 oz butter
- 2.5 oz shortening
- 3 oz ice water
- Ensure butter and shortening are COLD.
- Cut fat into cubes.
- Mix flour and salt. Add cubed fat into dry mixture.
- Work dough with cool hands, until fat is in pea-sized bits.
- Add COLD water, mix together lightly, just until incorporated.
- Knead quickly into a smoothish ball, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Extra kneading will make the dough tough and chewy. Place dough into fridge/freezer to chill.
- With a light dusting of flour, roll from the centre of the dough. Lift and rotate often. Roll ~ ⅛” thick.
- Cut bottom circle slightly larger than pie plate. Pick up bottom with rolling pin and lay gently into pie plate. Press gently into place.
- Cut top to size of pie plate.