Apple leather recipe
Recipe type: Apple
Type of Recipe: Dehydrated Foods
Serves: 1 pan
- 1 ½ lbs tart apples, peeled, cored and cut up
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups prepared apple puree
- 1-4 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ) Cook apples in water until barely tender. Drain. Process in blender until smooth.
- ) Place puree in bowl. Add honey and cinnamon to taste. Stir well.
- ) Line a 10 x 15 –inch (25 x 38 cm) jelly roll pan with plastic wrap, using 2 sheets crosswise fashion so as to have plenty of overhang. Spread puree mixture over plastic.
- ) Dry in 150 F (65 C) oven overnight, or for 8 to 10 hours during the day, until dry and leathery. It will be stiff enough to pull off the plastic wrap. May be turned to dry the other side a bit. It should be pliable and stretch a bit as it is torn.
- ) To store, leave each sheet of leather on the plastic wrap on which it was dried and roll it up tucking in sides of wrap. Overwrap each roll for further protection against moisture. Refrigerate up to 2 months. Freeze for long-term storage.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Jane’s Cooking School.