Unless the fruit owner has specifically indicated they have picking equipment for you to use, you are expected to bring everything you need to pick the fruit safely and effectively.
For a fruit tree you’ll need:
- 1 ladder or fruit picker per volunteer
- 1-2 tarps (These are great for catching any fruit that will accidentally drop while you’re picking.)
- Boxes or bags for any compost or waste material
- Buckets, bags or containers for fruit, including some for fruit you’ll share with a community group
- 1 rake for clean up
- Gloves if you like ’em
For a rhubarb or grapes you’ll need:
- 1 sharp knife, scissors or garden snips per volunteer
- Pails/boxes for the compost and the fruit
It’s up to you to arrive with the proper picking equipment. Contact friends, family or other pickers attending the pick to make arrangements for picking equipment and transporting it.