Apple cake is a wonderful dessert to enjoy in the autumn months. Decorate the top of the cake with apple slices artfully arranged for gorgeous presentation!
Apple Kuchen (cake)
yields 1-9X13 glass dish
3/8 lb butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
5 apples cored, sliced*holding together at the middle
2 Tbsp butter, melted
powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Butter and flour a 9×13 dish. Chill.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light.
3. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
5. Core and slice apples. Keep in halves (with lengthwise cuts to vent).
6. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mix until combined.
7. Spread smooth dough into prepared pan.
8. Press apple halves cut side down into dough. Brush with butter and sugar.
9. Bake 425F (400F convection) for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Thank you to Katie for providing us with this recipe and for teaching Fruit Share volunteers how to make it at the baking workshop earlier this month