Fruit Share is a volunteer program whose goal is to ensure local fruit gets harvested, shared and enjoyed. To do so, we…
- run Fruit Connect, an online service that connects fruit owners with fruit pickers
- offer recipes and tips for how to harvest, preserve and enjoy local fruit
- list community organizations that accept local fruit donations
While minimizing food waste is a major goal of the project, Fruit Share is also about fostering a sense of community and being conscientious about sustainable, local food systems. In short our goals are to:
- minimize food waste
- foster a strong sense of community
- promote local food production
- share resources
- share knowledge of food preservation and preparation
- share knowledge of fruit tree maintenance
- Fruit Share started in 2010 in South Osborne and now operates across Winnipeg.
- Over 63,000lbs of fruit was rescued and shared between 2010 and 2016, 1/3 of that going to community organizations to those who need it most.
- Money is raised through membership fees to host this website and the App, Fruit Connect. Fruit Share is a break-even program that in the past, has had a lot of sweat equity poured in to make the project a success.
- Fruit Share is now a program of T&T Seeds in Headingley, MB
- Visit and connect www.FruitShare.ca. Join our facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FruitShareWPG/. Email us at email@example.com