Fruit is highlighted in Steven Pratt and Kathy Matthews’ bestseller, SuperFoods Rx. In their sequel, SuperFoods HealthStyle, one of their autumn SuperFoods is apples!
According to Pratt and Matthews:
- Apple consumption is associated with reduced risk for diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, asthma and type 2 diabetes.
- Different apple varieties contain various concentrations and types of polyphenols.
- Apples with the peel still on contain much more antioxidant capacity than apples without the peel.
- Quercetin, a flavonoid found in apples, has anti-inflammatory properties.
- The soluble and insoluble fibre in apples helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- The fibre found in apples can help in weigh-loss.
Fruit is one of the best ways to improve and maintain good quality health.
Here in Winnipeg, our apples are ready for harvest right around now, through until roughly the end of September. And at Fruit Share we have a fair amount of apple trees registered all around the city! If you know of anyone with an apple tree in their backyard, please advise them to register their fruit with us so that everyone can share the wonderful health benefits of this tasty fruit.