Fruit Share is a volunteer program whose goal is to ensure local fruit gets harvested, shared and enjoyed. To do so, we…
- run Fruit Connect, an online service that connects fruit owners with fruit pickers
- offer recipes and tips for how to harvest, preserve and enjoy local fruit
- list community organizations that accept local fruit donations
While minimizing food waste is a major goal of the project, Fruit Share is also about fostering a sense of community and being conscientious about sustainable, local food systems. In short our goals are to:
- minimize food waste
- foster a strong sense of community
- promote local food production
- share resources
- share knowledge of food preservation and preparation
- share knowledge of fruit tree maintenance
- Fruit Share started in 2010 in South Osborne and now operates across Winnipeg.
- Over 63,000lbs of fruit was rescued and shared between 2010 and 2016.
- About 20,000lbs of fruit was shared with groups like Winnipeg Harvest, Siloam Mission, RAY (Resource Assistance for Youth), Oak Table, Teen Stop Jeunesse, etc. between 2010 and 2016.
- Fruit Share is run by a group of six volunteers on about $6,000/yr used for insurance, admin, web hosting, Summer Coordinator and Fruit Connect maintenance.
- Money is raised through membership fees, fundraisers and support from sponsors like Dakota & Portage Ave Family Foods, Manitoba Canola Growers and IBEX.
- Fruit Share is a program of the Manitoba Association of Home Economists.
- Visit and connect www.FruitShare.ca. Tweet us @FruitShareWpg. Join our facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FruitShareWPG/. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org